2million - My Journey to Financial Freedom

A Personal Finance Blog      ANNOUNCEMENT:2million has moved to www.2millionblog.com.     

Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Signed up for the HSBC Online Savings Account

I received a flyer in the mail yesterday from HSBC for an offer to sign up for their Online Savings Account currently yielding 3.75% APY that included a $25 bonus. Since it is .25% higher than Emigrant-Direct (my main savings account) I decided to give it a try.

Highlights from the offer:
-Offer expires October 31, 2005 (Note: If I remember correctly I saw on the web site that the offer expires September 30, 2005, not sure which is true)
-No monthly fees, no minimum term
-Open an account with as little as $1
-Free transfers
-Free HSBC ATM card (these seemed handy to me, no need to transfer money to my checking account before I can get to cash)
-$25 will be deposited in account within 45 days of account opening
Link to offer http://us.hsbc.com/rates

I signed up last night for my account. I was able to do everything online and link it to my Emigrant-Direct account for my initial deposit. I was a bit disappointed because the web site looked like it did pull my credit file as it asked my questions about other accounts I have, not sure why a savings account needs a credit check.

This will be my 3rd online savings account. I also have accounts with Emigrant-Direct (3.50%) and ING Direct (3.30%).


I'll post a follow up when I confirm I received my bonus money from HSBC.

5 Comments:

  • I recently signed up for the HSBC Online Savings Bank, but didn't notice any codes/links for signing bonuses :-(. (It didn't show up in your link either).

    I don't think their credit inquiry affects your score...although I didn't understand why they needed a credit report anyway.

    HSBC is super secure (which is good and bad). If you lose your PIN or need it reset, they only do it by mail and that takes DAYS. :-(.

    By Blogger Queen Bee, at 4:26 PM  

  • Thanks - yeah I noticed I STILL dont have access to my account online - I think they are sending me a PIN via snail mail. As for the $25 bonus - I didn't see it on the link either, but if you click the "Apply Now" button the $25 bonus should be on the next page (at least it was for me).

    By Blogger 2million, at 4:10 PM  

  • Look like balance transfer "stoozing" is catching on in the USA (it's a very popular way to make a few dollars in the UK.) Hopefully, the interest-free periods here in America will stay in the 6-15 month range. IMO, interest-free periods that are less than 6 months are not worth the effort, and can cause serious problems with your credit rating.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:56 PM  

  • Hey it’s so nice I really want to appreciate to this site. It’s so much interesting matter I like your work. Please carry on with your work and post me such a wonderful article.

    By Anonymous Savings Calculator, at 2:50 AM  

  • Thanks for sharing! This page was very informative and I enjoyed it. checking New Braunfels, TX

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home