2million - My Journey to Financial Freedom

A Personal Finance Blog      ANNOUNCEMENT:2million has moved to www.2millionblog.com.     

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Bummed about my Pfizer investment....

Pfizer (PFE) released earnings this morning and it is getting pounded today in market trading. As I write this the last trade price at Yahoo!Finance I saw for Pfizer (PFE) was $22.11. I this Pfizer is a great company, I think it has a great management team, I also think long term pharmaceutical companies are a great investment with the baby boomers getting older. However, I have been adding to my position from ~$42/share back in 2001. I have been riding this stock down the past 4 years and I am still taking a beating.

Besides IBM, PFE is the largest stock investment I have. My average share price for PFE is now around ~$31/share. Just when I think the latest fall in the stock price is a good buying opportunity the stock continues to go lower.

Its depressing to realize I have a significant loss in this stock investment. I have been buying PFE as a long term investment, I always said its ok if it takes 10 years, but I believe PFE will continue to grow and become more profitable. However, stock declines are tough for me - its easier to swallow if a stock price stays flat because at least I can say I haven't lost any money ;-).

With that said, I am going to continue to add to my PFE investment. PFE may be a drag on my investment returns for the next couple years, but I continue to believe it will pay off in the long run.

Update: I also saw that the forward P/E ratio for Pfizer (PFE) as reported on Yahoo!Finance is now ~10.27! Wow - that seems so low to me for such a great company. But what do I know?

3 Comments:

  • I bought simon property group (SPG) at 50 and sold it when it dropped to 45. It is now at $70! I bought Wipro (WIT) at 6 and sold at 5 and now it's at 9! Don't worry about it.

    By Blogger guy, at 9:13 PM  

  • I had to get out of Pfizer after all the potential lawsuits and the challenges with Merck. I'm glad I did at less of a loss but I sleep better at night.

    On a side note, I don't know if I'm doing much better w/ the alternative stock but it just helps me sleep at night.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 PM  

  • Nice sharing post about ur experience with this company.

    Finance Bookmark

    By Blogger AMIT, at 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home