2million - My Journey to Financial Freedom

A Personal Finance Blog      ANNOUNCEMENT:2million has moved to www.2millionblog.com.     

Monday, September 11, 2006

Repair or Replace HVAC?

The house I purchased in June has a gas pack heating/cooling system that was installed around 1993. I had it inspected while I was purchasing the property and a rust hole was discovered in the heat exchanger. I tried to negotiate for a whole new system from the seller, but in the end settled for ~$1,500 which was based on a quote I received to replace the heat exchanger in the gas pack since the unit seemed to be running fine otherwise and I was happy with the price we had agreed to.

Well here it is a few months later and I am finally getting around to addressing this problem. I called the company who gave me the written estimate for $1,500 and (long story short) their new estimate is now $2,500 because the cost of the parts has jumped up.

I called around and got a new estimate from a different company for $2,000. However every company I have called has suggested I replace the entire system since the repair cost is so high.

Further research online suggests the average lifespan of HVAC systems is 14-18 years. I am not sure if that is industry marketing suggesting that these systems need to be replaced more frequently? I have talked to colleagues and one said he had a system last 21 yrs before he replaced it.

I got some quotes on new systems and they ranged from $4,700-$5,800 - way more than I really want to spend given my current cash crunch.

I don't see much advantage to buying a new HVAC system in term of heating/cooling costs; yes they are more efficient, but I will not be living in the house long enough to see much payback - I plan to rent the house out in the next 1-2 yrs. On the other hand, a new system reduces the chance that I will have to spend time on the HVAC system anytime in the future.

I looked into the energy efficiency tax credit and unfortunately the credits only apply to the upper-end HVAC systems and don't cover a significant portion of the increased price so I won't be taking advantage of them.

So I am struggling to figure out what makes the most sense financially. If I bought a new HVAC system, the cost could be added to the basis of the property and deprecated over a 30yr period when I rent the house out. If I just repaired the system, I would not be able to deprecate anything.

However, repairing the system has a much shorter payback period. If I repaired the system and it operated for the next 7 years, the new system would have to run at least 16.4+ years (assuming $4.7k cost for new) to reach the same level of payback.

Given my current cash crunch and the shorter payback period, I am going to just get the system repair for now. When financial decisions like this don't have a clear cut answer to the biggest benefit, I always end up going the route that requires the smaller cash outlay.

27 Comments:

  • Being a project manager I identify risks all the time and one popped to mind when I read your post. What happens if you rent the house out and the system breaks? Being the owner you are ultimately responsible. A cash outlay now might prove more costly in the short term but might mitigate any potential costs down the road.

    I don't know what the house will rent for or where it is but if you end up loosing good tenants over a HVAC unit if it goes squirrly would be unfortunate and potentially costly (especially with a really bad tenant)

    Just a thought and potentially not 100% accurate

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:42 PM  

  • Very good point - some else mentioned to me the potential for more hassle especially if I am out of the area for a period of time.

    By Blogger 2million, at 1:45 PM  

  • Replace it if you can afford to. Repairs do not carry a warranty, a new unit does. Systems built in the last 15 years do not last forever. I know many systems that need to be replaced after 15 or less years. On one of my rental units had to replace the compressor on a unit that went out of warranty 6 weeks before.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:22 PM  

  • did you have a home owners warranty?

    didn't it cover it?

    I had a problem in my hvac and I paid $150 for not-covered parts to fix it.

    By Blogger Adventures In Money Making, at 2:55 AM  

  • Empty had a great point - do you have a new home warrantee?

    I suspect it would have bee excluded, unless repaired prior to the sale - as it was identified during the inspection.

    Unfortunately, I think the shops are right, you should probably replace it.

    One option might be to let the existing system run until it dies and accrue additional cash to replace it until that point.

    However, freezing your tenants out might be a problem.

    Perhaps financing the new hvac might be a cheaper alternative. You could then pull rental income out to cover the cost.

    In the end you'll have one less crisis with your tenants if you take care of it now.

    Regards,
    makingourway
    www.makingourwayblog.com

    By Blogger makingourway, at 12:06 PM  

  • Just curious, who manufactured the HVAC unit in question?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:55 AM  

  • I feel you are making a wise decision. I don't know much about heaters but I do know I'm currently facing a crises and am feeling pressure to purchase new economy brand. I like your thoughts about just replacing as needed. Just want to add that there are home insurance plans (for a small monthly fee) that can help with costs later.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:16 PM  

  • By Blogger Tapupartforpres, at 10:58 AM  

  • This is a no brainer. Replace the unit. You found one person that got 21 years, that's not average life. In addition your friend may have had a unsafe unit for years and didn't know it, he got lucky.
    Cost of one repair, say the compressor. you have loss all your money. Next, The money you save is yours, the energy you save is everyones. It more than just how cheap can I get by. It's about what's right for your future renters as well. Rents could use lower utilites also.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:41 PM  

  • Hi nice blog.i stayed inBig Bear hotelwith my parents , i feel.l am living something in my life while am this restaurant.i surely ask my father to go back there in the next holiday

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:31 AM  

  • Hi, I recently posted an article on www.askboyd.com called "Penny Wise and Dollar Foolish". It addresses some of your issues.

    It draws a comparison between an investment in HVAC or a Car. Kind of intersting. It is located in the Do-It-Yourself section. Please feel free to take a look.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:57 PM  

  • I always prefer repairs when possible. I like to squeeze all of the life out of my HVAC systems and parts are inexpensive online.
    http://www.rexxsales.com

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:20 PM  

  • My parents have always been the type to replace at the 1st signs of any problems and sometimes before just because they think something may go wrong. I have not had that luxury so I tend to lean toward repairing. Other than not being made of money I really like to get everything I can out of a big ticket item.

    http://www.rexxindustrialparts.com

    By Anonymous J Allen, at 6:52 PM  

  • My wife and I have just been living in our newly-bought house for half a year now, and if you ask me, I think that replacing HVAC fixtures with the latest, energy-efficient ones are truly a great investment. It's like replacing an incandescent bulb with a fluorescent one. It is long-lasting and more radiant. Actually, we're about look for new axial fans. Manufacturers with energy-efficient products are on top of our list. In addition, we'll also get some accessories from a louver manufacturer. That will definitely improve our HVAC system.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5:00 AM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:27 AM  

  • Here, I do not actually suppose it is likely to work.
    Рекомендую проститутки Челябинска и проститутки Кургана

    By Anonymous проститутки Киева, at 3:31 AM  

  • well here is when a company cans take a very good business for fixing this kind of machines and be more cheapest, because this is so useful every day

    By Anonymous secure tabs, at 10:35 AM  

  • Pretty worthwhile data, lots of thanks for your post.

    By Anonymous comprar yate, at 8:53 AM  

  • It can't have effect in fact, that is exactly what I suppose.

    By Anonymous palmcop, at 1:27 PM  

  • information about the brands and models which they carry and explained me about the rebate. He took his time in explaining and making sure that we have all the information.
    Amana Central Air Condition
    Lennox High Efficiency Furnaces
    Lennox Central Air Conditioner
    Central Air Conditioners
    Central Air Conditioner Toronto

    By Blogger Heating And Cooling, at 9:41 AM  

  • Another Smart post from you Admin :)

    By Anonymous Health Artciles, at 6:40 AM  

  • thanks for the insight look,now i can become an expert in HVAC repairing by reading your helpful post.
    Appliance Repair Virginia Beach

    By Blogger Unknown, at 2:18 PM  

  • I was so lucky to visit this site I really want to recommend this to everyone cause there no doubt about its content I really love this one thanks for sharing this!I hope that I can see new interesting topics I am looking forward to that Creating an unfunded PhD tier could have dire consequences for the accessibility and diversity of the graduate school, never mind the collegial atmosphere within and between departments. Thank you for the post. I really loved reading your blog. It was very well authored and easy to understand. I am happy to find your distinguished way of writing the post. Now you make it easy for me to understand and implement the concept. Thank you for the post.

    By Anonymous hotel big bear, at 5:15 AM  

  • I agree. I don't see much advantage to buying a new HVAC system. They are more efficient, but you won't really live somewhere long enough to make much from it.

    Wayne. | http://www.capefearair.com/services.php

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:16 PM  

  • I found so many interesting in your blog especially its discussion. keep up the good work.
    Search Strings
    SEO Company
    Google Adwords
    Social Media
    Web Analytics
    Conversion Optimization
    Reputation Management

    By Anonymous Search Strings, at 6:23 AM  

  • All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks heating repair

    By Blogger Eliza Beth, at 5:17 AM  

  • This is also a great post that I enjoyed reading. Not every day I get a chance to see something like this decision-making tool to help you make the right choice. When faced with a difficult decision, you may find yourself paralyzed and unable to move forward. Using this yes or no wheel decide tool you can make the right choice in any situation. Read it and let us know what you think.

    By Blogger John Cornejo, at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home