2million - My Journey to Financial Freedom

A Personal Finance Blog      ANNOUNCEMENT:2million has moved to www.2millionblog.com.     

Monday, April 10, 2006

2005 Federal Income Tax Analysis

Over the weekend I finished my 2005 federal income taxes. This was the most complex return for me due in part to the mid-year conversion of my house to a rental property.

Background Work
Prior to finishing my 2005 taxes this weekend, I had started some work to get to this point:
-I had purchased Taxcut for $8.96 after rebates to help me with this year's taxes.
-At the end of 2005 I reserved $3,000 of my net worth as tax liability because after I quick analysis I thought I would owe a significant amount in taxes. Now that all the dust has settled this turned out to be significantly off; I am filing for refunds on both my state and federal taxes.

Where It Went
Here is a breakdown report from Taxcut of where my money went:


I am surprised that such a high percentage of my income went to federal taxes (16%). If I recall correctly I only paid about 12% in federal income taxes for 2004. I had assumed I would pay roughly the same percentage for my 2005 taxes.


Breakdown of My 2005 Tax Return

Retirement Accounts
I maxed out my 2005 401(k) contributions and maxed out my 2005 IRA contributions in a Roth IRA.

Capital Gains
I maxed out the capital gain losses mostly as a result from carryover losses from stock sales made a couple years ago.

Interest & Dividends
As detailed earlier, I increased my interest and dividend income in 2005.

Primary Residence Conversion
I had to do calculations to determine what mortgage interest and property taxes I could deduct for the early part of year in which I treated my house as a primary residence.

Rental Property
By far the most laborious part of my return, I had to calculate and document many items for the rental activity:
-cost basis for rental property used in rental activity
-cost basis for items used in the rental including the w/d, refrigerator, etc
-cost basis for bathroom remodel project
-insurance premiums including the % from 2004's premiums and the % from the premiums paid in 2005. This included dwelling and liability insurance.
-amount of mortgage interest and property taxes paid for the house after it was converted to a rental property
-utilities between when the house was converted to a rental property and when it was occupied
-cleaning and maintenance expenses including cleaning supplies, materials used for maintenance,
-standard mileage deduction, luckily I started using a log book to record my trips related to the rental activity so this was pretty easy


Tax Reduction Strategies for 2006
I don't really have any well defined strategies other than hopeful plans to purchase a new primary residence. If I buy a primary residence, the mortgage interest and property taxes will both help reduce my taxable income for the year. However, I haven't yet found the right opportunity for me. After going through my 2005 tax return, I can honestly say I really hope an opportunity presents itself in the near future.


Benchmarking with Fellow Personal Finance Blogger's Tax Returns:
Jane Dough paid about 12% in federal income tax.
Five Cent Nickel only paid about 3% in federal income tax (WOW!).
Madame X paid $11,624 in federal income taxes.
Update: Financial Freedumb paid 17.3% in federal income tax.
Update: Flexo paid 10.9% in federal income tax.

9 Comments:

  • That's not that bad...I paid 17.3% Fed...6.7% State...I need to reduce my taxes...:/

    By Blogger freedumb, at 5:45 PM  

  • Ha, try:

    $110,000 fed taxes
    $30,000 state

    The only consolation I have is that it would be more in most other countries.

    And I still have potholes in the roads, failing schools and a pack of morons "running" the country (for lack of a better word).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 PM  

  • How can I contact the admin of this blog? I want to share some important information.

    Regards,
    Robin (robin@mortgagefit.com)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:45 AM  

  • Robin,

    I can be reached at 2millionblog@gmail.com

    By Blogger 2million, at 1:46 PM  

  • No I deduct my mortgage interest and taxes as a primary residence personal deduction and then converted it to a rental property after I moved out.

    I doubt you can rent it to yourself, but it sounds like a good idea. The advantage would be you could depricate the building and personal property, deduct the repairs, etc that you couldn't do otherwise.

    By Blogger 2million, at 10:50 PM  

  • Hi $2M,

    We finished our taxes in March - new family tradition to get them done early.

    I read your posting about tax % and decided to check mine:

    fed is 16.17%
    state is 4.92%

    But you know how it is in NC.

    Actually dollar amounts were pretty high, but I'll discuss it a bit in my next posting at.

    Regards to everyone,
    makingourway

    By Blogger makingourway, at 1:51 AM  

  • Interesting - you paid a lower percentage in NC state income tax than I. Any tips? :-)

    By Blogger 2million, at 9:42 AM  

  • I managed 10.9% in federal taxes for 2005. That's about in line with the last few years.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • Have a bunch of kids... Nothing beats that child tax credit!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home