2million - My Journey to Financial Freedom

A Personal Finance Blog      ANNOUNCEMENT:2million has moved to www.2millionblog.com.     

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Vesting My Pension

Cha-ching! Today I hit 5 years of service with my employer and vest in my cash balance pension plan. My employer currently contributes 5% of my salary to the pension account plus monthly interest on the balance.

This pension is now worth at least $17,427.06 and will now be tracked in my net worth statements. Yeah ha! Thats a nice little bonus.

While nothing has really changed this certainly will make a significant impact on my net worth. I'll be wearing a smile all day, not so much because of the net worth bump, but recognizing that I have made it this far. I can remember a few years ago when I often wondered how I could make it to 5 yrs of service with my employer. Its scary how time flies.

I will probably soon start wondering if I will make it through another 5 years of service with my employer, but I will sleep better knowing I at least have a pension I can take with me ;-).

5 Comments:

  • Congratulations. It is so nice when good things happen. Makes those bad and tough times, not so bad.

    By Blogger Denise Mall, at 2:29 PM  

  • That's great news. Congratulations!

    For your next trick, you should take the current value of your pension and discount it for inflation up until the day you plan to retire. That's the number that should go into a Current Net Worth estimate.

    Sorry if that's depressing.

    Matthew @ Crazy Money

    By Blogger Matthew, at 10:15 PM  

  • How about a Link Trade? My site is
    ONLINE MONEY MAKERS

    By Blogger HotTubes, at 3:47 PM  

  • I know how you feel... I had one of those cliff-vesting pension and was overjoyed when I finally earned my time this summer...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:25 PM  

  • Interesting blog...liked it..

    Ketan (http://greenbuck.blogspot.com)

    By Blogger K, at 7:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home